Skip to main content

Soldiers' Animal Companions Fund

Helping those who have helped us . . .

Rescue Stories
Kevin's Story
Cash's Story
Ghansa's Story
Hope II's Story
Hazel's Story
Jackson (aka Kiah)
Pippa's Rufus' and Livvy
Ka Bull's Story
Betty White's Story
Betty and Albert ...
Cassie's Story (aka Barfi
P'choo's Story
Shadow's Story (aka Gunne
Zabba's Story
Rosie's Story
Bear's Story
Aneesa's Story
Mousetrap's Story
Yakkul's Story
Brian's Story
Mezzie's Story
Xena's Story
Larry's Story
Garfield's Story
Lunch's Story
Hector's Story
Buttercup's Story
Riley and Ashley's Story
Thor's Story
Echo Bacon's Story
Rahbi's Story
Mario's and Chase's Story
Bolt's Story
Ghost's Story
Peanut's Story
Roxy's Story
Spot's Story
Karen's Story
Tony's Story
Solha's Story
Otis' Story
Mercy's Story
Primus' Story
Gus' Story
Chloe's Story
Christo and Pablo
Meena aka Momma Dog
Kallee's Story
Hope's Story
Rambo Junior's Story
Alice's Story
Soji's Story
Shadow's Story
Mahla's Story
Kujo's Story
Spin's Story
Lucky's Story
Connie's Story
Rufus' Story
Homecoming Album
Contact Us
Karen's Story

Karen’s Marine was sent to Afghanistan twice.

The first time he was deployed was early 2011. At that time the Marine, Chase, met a tiny orange kitten who lived around the area where he worked. The little kitten became attached to Chase and he enjoyed having her there -- playing with her, and enjoying the fun and comfort a pet can provide.
The kitten’s name was Karen.

Then Chase was sent away. He doubted he’d ever see Karen again.
A few months into 2012, Chase was deployed again and sent back to the same area. Amazingly Karen, now a full grown cat, was still there!
And just as amazingly, she recognized Chase and immediately “reattached” herself to him.
Whenever Karen could be with Chase, she was. As he told Nowzad, “She is right next to me all day when I’m working outside and actually she is right by me as I’m typing this email.”

He slept at the para-loft and every night Karen would be sure to be there too, sleeping right at his feet.

She would even follow him to the bus stop. Then wait around the area for the bus and her Marine to come back.

Chase knew he couldn’t leave her behind again.

At the end of April he arranged for Nowzad to pick Karen up and get her to the shelter in Kabul. His hope was to get her “back to the States where she can continue to be by my side but without the elements of Afghanistan.”

But he was well aware of the costs involved in her rescue and wrote this plea,

“This is a lot of money, I know. The group that does these rescues is doing good things over here and the money raised will pay for transport, shelter costs and other costs that they have in taking care of these animals. I appreciate any help that you could give them by donating to them. I should be home in May and I would like to get Karen home too. Thank you very much”.

And our generous donors responded. In a very short time we were able to fund Karen’s rescue and send her on her way out of Afghanistan.
Now Karen is safe at home in Georgia and Chase has sent us this message:

“Thank you to everyone for helping me get Karen to the U.S. Karen made my two deployments in Afghanistan much better! When I arrived for the second time I could not believe she was still there. She is now safe in Georgia with Sarah and I’ll be back to Georgia soon. Thank you again!”