Skip to main content

Soldiers' Animal Companions Fund

Helping those who have helped us . . .

Rescue Stories
Kevin's Story
Cash's Story
Ghansa's Story
Hope II's Story
Hazel's Story
Jackson (aka Kiah)
Pippa's Rufus' and Livvy
Ka Bull's Story
Betty White's Story
Betty and Albert ...
Cassie's Story (aka Barfi
P'choo's Story
Shadow's Story (aka Gunne
Zabba's Story
Rosie's Story
Bear's Story
Aneesa's Story
Mousetrap's Story
Yakkul's Story
Brian's Story
Mezzie's Story
Xena's Story
Larry's Story
Garfield's Story
Lunch's Story
Hector's Story
Buttercup's Story
Riley and Ashley's Story
Thor's Story
Echo Bacon's Story
Rahbi's Story
Mario's and Chase's Story
Bolt's Story
Ghost's Story
Peanut's Story
Roxy's Story
Spot's Story
Karen's Story
Tony's Story
Solha's Story
Otis' Story
Mercy's Story
Primus' Story
Gus' Story
Chloe's Story
Christo and Pablo
Meena aka Momma Dog
Kallee's Story
Hope's Story
Rambo Junior's Story
Alice's Story
Soji's Story
Shadow's Story
Mahla's Story
Kujo's Story
Spin's Story
Lucky's Story
Connie's Story
Rufus' Story
Homecoming Album
Contact Us
Connie's Story

A group of Vermont National Guard Soldiers on patrol in Afghanistan were appalled when they discovered a tiny little puppy abandoned, wrapped in Concertina wire.

The soldiers made the instant decision to take the pup back with them to their base.  As she clearly had not eaten for days, they took care of her and nursed her back to health.  Along the way they also fell in love with her.

“Connie” became her new name and her new place was with the soldiers.

They came to look forward to the warm welcome she would give them when they returned from patrol.  This comfort meant so much – warmth and love, often hard to find in the depths of Afghanistan.

As Sarah Bleau, sister of one of the soldiers said, “She was there to love them and they were there to love her and that’s something you normally wouldn’t see over there”

Then efforts began to raise the funds to bring Connie out of the war zone and to her soldier’s family in Vermont.  With the funds raised, Nowzad was able to orchestrate the travel arrangements for Connie to come to the United States.

As of July 11, 2010,  Connie is now with her soldier’s family on a farm in Vermont.